(Thank goodness they did…I used to just think I was flaky for not sticking to one thing.)
Now I know better and I celebrate ALL my passions and invite everyone else to do the same. Keeps things interesting and fun.
Some of my escapades, in no particular order:
- Certified in the Transformational Coaching Method and going on to Mastery in July 2015.
- I’m a Certified Infinite Possibilities Trainer—teaching the truth about how life works!
- Rode a bike across Europe–Barcelona to Greece by way of Corsica.
- Went to live in Spain without speaking a word of Spanish
- Studied French & Art History
- Spent my 21st birthday on a beach in Ravenna, Italy
- Completed a 2,000 hour yoga teacher training at College of Purna Yoga in Bellevue, WA, 2008.
- Built, grew and sold American Folk Art & Framing, a successful gallery and frame shop in downtown Asheville. As an offshoot and launching soon: Two Tramps Folk Art, an online market for folk art, fine art and wood-fired pottery.
- Started a pet food delivery service called Lucky Dog Delivers (EPIC FAIL!)
- Got licensed as a physical therapist.
- Started Still Point Yoga Therapy.
- Started Bellalulu Yarn where I blogged about and sold hand spun art yarn
- Back packing in Montana, California, Washington, Utah, North Carolina, New Hampshire so far.
- Lived in Greece for a year tending bar and cleaning toilets at Atsitsa, a holistic health & fitness center where I learned Ashtanga Yoga and lived in a hut. Got to swim in the Aegean Sea every day and pick wild rosemary from bushes the size of VW beetles
- Spent my junior year in France, Montpellier, to be exact.
- Declared bankruptcy in 2012.
- Hitchhiked around Europe & managed to not get killed, but did get kicked out of a houseboat hostel run by followers of Baghwan Shree Rajneesh, in Amsterdam; mugged in New York; and chased by drug dealers through the streets of Barcelona. On a nicer note, while hitchhiking, got to see the Pont du Gard in France, a medieval castle in Spain, an out of the way Marc Chagall museum, the city of Avignon and treated to an amazing dinner of petits oiseaux (little birds) in Nice–things that never would have happened if I hadn’t stuck out my thumb.
- Have driven across the US 6 times. So far.
- Big fan of Bonnaroo Music Festival (five time veteran with my Top 10 concerts being…Radio Head (ungh, OMG), the Flaming Lips (OMG!), the White Stripes (bring it, Jack!), Beck (puppets?), MIA, !!! (dance party!), Pearl Jam (sexiest voice ever, Eddie), Eminem, Cat Power, Broken Social Scene (surprise).
- I LOVE Halloween, especially when it combines costumes, electronic dance music and a ride on a purple bus.
- I’m skilled at spotting wildlife—a fox lying in a bed of leaves; an osprey hovering above an alpine lake; dolphins looking me right in the eye from beneath the bow of the boat. Otters, screech owls, bobcats. A bear cub farting around on a fallen log for ever before he saw me and scurried off like I’d jumped up and yelled “Boo!” in his ear.
I used to be slightly embarrassed that I’d started over 10 businesses in my lifetime and have ideas for at least 99 others that will never come to pass. At least not through me. Every single one taught me something about business and about myself. I’m not embarrassed any more about being a Learner, Input and Intellection. Or an INFP. Or the Secret Weapon of Mystique + Rebellion.
Oh, yeah, and I have a freakishly good ability to remember people’s names, sometimes years after I’ve met them. Seriously, it freaks people out and I have to be careful with this super power.
What I don’t want you to know about me…
- I have to work hard every day to come from a place of abundance because scarcity was trained into me deep…like Pavlov trained those dogs to drool at the sound of a bell, I was trained to see lack everywhere in my life.
- I don’t consider myself to be naturally gifted in either generosity or gratefulness, and sometimes I feel ashamed about this.
- I know I’m a writer at heart. I have files and files of notes and stories and half-finished chapters and when it comes to completing writing projects, this is where I shine at self-sabotage, procrastination and self-judgement.
- I coached for two years before anyone ever paid me for the service, mostly because I didn’t ask. And because I didn’t trust that what I offered would be of value. (I’m over that now BTW!)